Genshin Impact developer Hoyoverse launched a teaser trailer that gave followers a take a look at one of many recreation’s most dastardly group of villains: the Fatui Harbingers. The supervillains are as evil as they’re sizzling, and the teaser launched a veritable feast of recent characters for followers to obsess over. The months main as much as the sport’s 3.0 Sumeru replace have been full of leak after leak, and this reveal got here as a welcome shock to followers — lastly placing faces to a number of the recreation’s most notorious characters.
Thus far in Genshin Impression we’ve solely met three Harbingers: Signora, Scaramouche, and Childe. There are 11 whole, which means that Hoyoverse revealed eight new characters in a matter of minutes. Whereas it could seem to be rather a lot to drop directly, the sport has been steadily constructing as much as their reveal via its lore. Right here’s every little thing we all know thus far in regards to the Fatui Harbingers to assist refresh you on these characters as we head into the three.0 replace.
[Ed note: The article contains spoilers for events that take place in the Inazuma archon quest line. You might not want to read if you’re not up to date on the story through the game’s 2.7 update.]
What’s happening within the trailer?
The trailer appears to take place sometime after the occasions of the present mainline quest. At this level, the Traveler has ventured within the Chasm after serving to resolve the interior battle within the area of Inazuma, and the Sakoku Decree has been lifted. We all know this as a result of the trailer depicts the Harbingers gathering to mourn the lack of their comrade, Signora. A strong fighter, Signora was overwhelmed in battle by the Traveler after which killed by the Inazuma chief, the Raiden Shogun. The Traveler and the Shogun had beforehand uncovered a Fatui plot that turned the Shogun towards her personal individuals.
The trailer debuts bits and items of every character, with some squabbling between the group, as tensions are excessive within the wake of Signora’s demise. Nonetheless, their chief, Pierro, interjects, “Let each worthy sacrifice be carved in ice, and with this nation endure all the time. Within the identify of Her Majesty, the Tsaritsa, we are going to seize authority from the gods.”
What’s the Fatui?
On this planet of the sport, the Fatui is a delegation of diplomats from the northern land of Snezhnaya, which is dominated by the ice-elemental Cryo archon, the Tsaritsa. (The land seems to be impressed by Russia, however we don’t know the small print because it isn’t a part of the sport but.) The Fatui represents the Tsaritsa’s pursuits abroad, and whereas the group is formally referred to as a diplomatic delegation, it typically undermines the interior workings of different nations.
At this level, the Fatui is working towards some type of darkish goal that entails utilizing the ability of the gods. Thus far, the Fatui Harbingers have acquired (or stolen) the Gnosis, a particular merchandise completely held by an elemental god for the Anemo, Geo, and Electro archons (archons are elemental gods). Past that, the Fatui has sown turmoil in varied areas. For instance, they exacerbated a battle in Inazuma by feeding its chief false info. Generic Fatui brokers additionally continuously seem within the recreation as enemies that you could battle.
Who’re the Fatui Harbingers?
The Fatui Harbingers are a excessive council of 11 fighters who’ve labored their strategy to larger echelons of management below the Tsaritsa. They’re identified for harnessing their elemental powers via an object referred to as a Delusion, an artificially produced means to harness elemental powers. (On this planet of Teyvat, the gods sometimes bestow elemental powers to gamers within the type of talismans referred to as Visions, however the Harbingers have artificially created these powers via doubtful strategies.) In earlier boss fights for Harbingers like Childe or Signora, gamers can see them wielding extraordinary energy and morphing into monstrous new types of themselves.
We’ve heard about a number of the Harbingers throughout our adventures in Teyvat via tales and quests. Followers have additionally identified that their names correspond to characters and archetypes from a type of early Italian theater referred to as “commedia dell’arte,” which hints on the position every will play as the remainder of the sport’s story performs out. Moreover, the playable character Childe serves as our important connection to the Harbingers, since he has performed a big position in sure mainline quests.
Right here’s what we learn about every of them:
- Childe (Tartaglia): Probably the most well-known of the Harbingers, Childe is the youngest member. We meet him for the primary time in Liyue and discover out he’s behind a plan to awaken a sea monster that threatens the protection of Liyue Harbor. Regardless of every little thing that occurs, he’s a good friend of each the Geo Archon and the Traveler and deeply cares about his household.
- Pierro (The Jester): Pierro was the primary Harbinger and is the chief of the group. Within the trailer, he sits on the head of the desk. He’s a mysterious determine and is the one to cease the opposite members’ squabbling.
- Scaramouche (Balladeer): Scaramouche doesn’t seem within the current trailer, however he met the Traveler within the Electro Archon quest. Within the occasions of the sport, Yae Miko trades him the Gnosis of the Electro archon in change for the Traveler’s life. He’s additionally rumored to be a playable character.
- Signora (Rosalyne-Kruzchka Lohefalter): A very formidable member, Signora dies within the occasions of the political falling-out in Inazuma. She was chargeable for amassing the Gnosis from the Anemo and Geo Archon.
- Arlecchino (The Knave): Within the teaser, Arlecchino seems to be probably the most upset over Signora’s demise and calls a few of them “heartless businessmen.” She’s an orphan however little is thought about her.
- Pulcinella (Rooster): Within the teaser we see a small-figured and long-nosed character named Pulcinella announce the gathering for the funeral. We don’t know rather a lot about him, however he seems to take care of an excellent relationship with Childe and takes care of Childe’s household as he works overseas.
- Pantalone (Regrator): In his remarks, Childe describes Pantalone as a person with “grandiose plans fueled by uncooked ambition.” He additionally seems to handle the funds for the Fatui.
- Il Dottore (The Physician): Dottore falls into the “mad scientist” archetype. He seems within the manga, and from that we all know he carried out unsavory experiments on unsuspecting residents in Mondstadt. He has additionally been described as having an curiosity in researching the Destroy Guards that speckle Teyvat’s panorama.
- Capitano: Whereas all the Harbingers are highly effective, Childe notes Capitano’s prowess on the battlefield and aspires to show his value to him.
- Sandrone (Marionette): We don’t know a lot about her, however she seems to be a puppeteer.
- Columbina (Damselette): We see Damselette laying on Signora’s grave within the teaser. Once more we don’t know a lot, however Childe seems to be cautious of her energy.
If you would like simply take a look at the designs, right here is a picture of all the reveals with their stills labeled:
Why is everybody so excited?
Thus far, the Fatui Harbingers have been an ominous and pretty unknown group on the earth of the sport. They’ve performed an enormous position however have been largely working from the shadows.
This teaser trailer, which arrived seemingly out of nowhere, confirmed off all of them directly. It’s an enormous reveal with numerous new characters, and it is a neighborhood identified for hyping up virtually each new launch of a single character. Individuals are already making fan art and memes associated to the announcement. (Oh, and numerous the Fatui Harbingers are hot, in order that doesn’t harm both.)